Updated September 13, 2021
Information We Collect
- Information you provide: We receive and store any information you provide through forms and features of our services, including any paper forms you submit to us, and information you provide when you contact us. You may access some of our services without providing personal information, but some of the features of our services may be limited or unavailable.
- Information from other sources: We may receive information about you from outside sources. For example, we may update and validate your address and legislative district, so we can properly deliver your petition to your legislators and put you in touch with other supporters in your area.
How We Use Your Information
- To deliver services: We use your personal information to provide services that advance our non-profit mission. For example, if you sign a petition through our services, we use your personal information to determine your state legislative districts and deliver your petition to your legislators. We also may use your information to connect you with other COS supporters in your area, and to connect you with local volunteer opportunities.
- To personalize your experience: We use your personal information to help deliver content through our services that is most relevant to you. We may use information in the aggregate to understand how everyone uses our services.
- To improve our services: We continually strive to improve our services and sites based on the information and feedback we receive from you. For example, we may use your personal information to provide service functionality, analyze our performance, fix bugs, and otherwise improve our services.
- To fulfill store orders: We need to collect information, including payment and address information, in order to process and fulfill orders you place through our online store for clothing and other merchandise.
- To improve services and communications: Your personal information helps us to more effectively respond to your service requests and support needs. For example, when you submit a request through our Help Desk, we may put you in touch with a State Information Analyst who is acquainted with the specific needs of your state.
- To communicate with you: We use your personal information to send you updates about COS and our services. For example, if you provide us your email address we may use that information to send you periodic updates on COS (if at any time you would like to unsubscribe from receiving future emails, we include detailed unsubscribe instructions at the bottom of each email or you may contact us). Or if you provide us your phone number, our volunteers may personally reach out to contact you about COS and volunteer opportunities in your area. If you opt in to receive text message updates, we may send you periodic text messages in accordance with our SMS Terms & Conditions. You may opt out of receiving automated messages from our messaging program by texting STOP to the number from which you received the message.
- To comply with the law: We may disclose your personal information when required to do so by law. For example, we may provide your personal information in response to a lawful court order.
- To further other efforts consistent with our purpose as a non-profit organization.
How We Protect Your Information
We adopt industry-standard data collection, storage and processing practices and security measures to protect against unauthorized access, alteration, disclosure or destruction of your personal information, username, password, transaction information and data stored on our sites. All data communications with you are secured with TLS encryption protocols and SSL certificates.
It is important for you to protect against unauthorized access to any accounts you may have on our services. We strongly encourage you to use a randomly generated, unique password and to limit the sharing of your login credentials. If you believe your account has been compromised, please contact us immediately.
How We Share Your Information
We may share, lease, or sell your information with our affiliates and other organizations who share our goals and mission. Our ability to network with like-minded organizations is critical to advancing our mission across the country.
In order to provide and deliver services and communicate with you, we may also use third party service providers by, for example, mailing out newsletters or surveys. Information shared with these third party service providers will be used exclusively for the purpose of distributing our content, including the content of our affiliates.
We do not share any information associated with our automated texting service with outside organizations or allow other organizations to use our automated texting service to contact you unless you grant us your consent to do so. Texting information may be shared with our texting service providers and your wireless provider as necessary to distribute our text messages.
Modifying or Deleting Your Information
If you would like to correct an error or request deletion of your personal information, please contact us through one of the methods in our contact section listed below. As part of your request, please provide your full name, address, email, and phone number.
Please note that under some circumstances it may not be possible for us to comply with a request to delete all of your personal information. Common circumstances where we may need to retain some personal information include: to complete a transaction with you, to protect the security and integrity of our systems, to protect the rights of others including their right to free speech, and to comply with our legal obligations.
Other Service Providers
You may find content on our services that links to the services of other organizations. We do not control the content or links that appear on services that are not ours and we are not responsible for the practices and policies employed by them.
- By email: email@example.com
- By phone: (540) 441-7227
- Or by mail: Convention of States Action 5850 San Felipe, Suite 580A Houston, TX 77057