The American people feel powerless. We saw it all year during the tyrannical COVID-19 lockdowns, and we've seen it in recent months following the presidential election.
Liberty-loving Americans want to know what they can do to keep Washington from expanding its power even further and trampling on the liberties we hold dear. Voting for good politicians is crucially important, but it isn't enough. We the People need a real solution to Washington's overreach, and we've found it in Article V of the Constitution.
Article V allows the people--acting through the states--to call a Convention of States for the purpose of proposing constitutional amendments. These amendments can limit the power, scope, and jurisdiction of the federal government. They can also mandate term limits and force Washington to be fiscally responsible.
If 34 states pass a resolution calling for such a Convention, a Convention is held and states have the power to propose amendments. Any and all amendments that receive a majority of votes among all 50 states are sent back to the states for ratification. If 38 states agree to ratify, those amendments become part of the Constitution.
As you can see, this process is legal, peaceful, and safe. It's outlined in the Constitution itself! We're working in all 50 states to reach that 34-state threshold, and we've already passed the Convention of States Resolution in 15 states.
Here are five things you can do RIGHT NOW to push this historic movement forward in your state legislature:
- Sign the Convention of States Petition. If you sign the petition and include your contact info, we'll send it directly to your state legislators. Scroll to the bottom of this page to sign!
- Send the petition to five friends. Every petition counts! We need our state legislators to know how many Americans support the Article V cause. Send your friends and family to cosaction.com. They'll see the petition on the home page.
- Contact your state legislators. After you've signed the petition, follow up with your state legislators to reiterate your support for the Convention of States movement. Visit our Take Action page to learn how to call or email your state legislator.
- Sign up to be a District Captain. District Captains are local Convention of States leaders who recruit, train, and organize the COS supporters in their district. They're the heart and soul of this movement, and we're always happy to welcome more to the team! Click here to apply to be a District Captain.
- Join Convention of States University. COS University is a collection of courses designed to give you everything you need to be an effective volunteer or leader. We have classes ranging from basic to intermediate to advance. Click here to check out the course offerings.
If you do any of those five things, you'll have made a real difference in the effort to rein in federal power and return that power where it belongs: with We the People.
Don't forget to sign the Convention of States Petition before you go!