You have heard that Americans are divided now more than ever. There is an element of truth in that statement because we have always been divided since before we became a country. Loyal British citizens and believers in self governance could not agree on independence two hundred fifty years ago. Divisions have persisted since then with short lived exceptions when world wars united us.
Yet, there is an American Wave looming that unites us and will guide future decisions based on widely held principles. Most people, regardless of political party, agree with the following guidelines: (in no particular order)
1) People should be judged on the content of their character;
2) Able body Americans should Work for benefits;
3) America is the greatest country on earth;
4) Violence against police should result in strong punishment;
5) Federal taxes should be cut for everyone;
6) Tax credits should be given for products made in America;
7) Government issued photo ID should be required to vote;
8) Government should protect the free practice of religion;
9) Children should have the opportunity to attend the school best for them;
10) Non-citizen gang members should face deportation upon arrest.
Of course, this is not an exhaustive list. Further discussion of the points above can be found in the book "Beyond Biden, Rebuilding the America We Love" by Newt Gingrich. These 10 points and others are ideas that Americans agree will turn our course in the right direction. Your participation is essential; be sure to vote in person on November 8.
Vermonters Agree with You
Published in Solution Blog on October 26, 2022 by Michael Codding