Welcome COS volunteers! We love that you want to use the Convention of States logo. We want to make it easy for you to use our assets in the right way. We have provided these guidelines for those who want to use the Convention of States logo in their marketing or advertising. You can use the Convention of States logo and other assets without pre-approval, provided you follow these basic guidelines.
Consistent use of these assets helps people easily recognize references to Convention of States and protects company trademarks. Use of the Convention of States logo in ways not expressly covered in this guide is not allowed without prior written consent from the Convention of States Creative Director. These brand guidelines may change from time-to-time, so always consult this resource page before using Convention of States assets.
When Should I Use the Convention of States Logo?
You should use the official COS logo (or your state variant) on any communications, materials, or events you are creating or participating in as a COS Volunteer.
When you are evaluating whether to use the COS logo or a material featuring it, keep in mind the following restrictions on your volunteer activity for COS:
- Do not promote other projects or efforts. Convention of States is focused on passing our application in 34 state legislatures.
- Do not sell any COS materials or charge admission for any COS events. Our logo should not appear on any materials that will be used for a commercial purpose. COS is a nonprofit organization that makes its resources available to everyone for free.
- Do not support or oppose any political candidates or political parties. COS is a nonpartisan organization that welcomes everyone who supports our mission.
When Should I Use My State's Convention of States Logo?
You should use your state’s official Convention of States logo on any communications, events, or materials that are used or promoted solely within your state or a part of your state. Materials, communications, or events that are used or promoted across multiple states should use the national logo.
Submit all designs and materials to the Convention of States Creative Director for review before distribution.
How Should I Display the Convention of States Logo?
The Convention of States logo is a powerful symbol that has been used to show support and solidarity for a Convention of States. The following guidelines will help distinguish the brand assets and help people easily recognize references to Convention of States.
- Do follow guidelines found on this page and any other instructions as provided by the Convention of States Creative Director.
- Do keep enough space around brand assets to keep them clear and uncluttered.
- Do maintain the same shape and proportion of the logo and reproduce the assets at a legible size.
- Do show the Convention of States logo in the approved color schemes.
- Do use the logo on the appropriate background color. The white logo should be used on a dark background where the color logo is not legible. If you can’t use the correct color due to technical limitations in color printing, use black and white.
- Do use the horizontal logo for wide spans of space, while using the square logo for every other application.
- Do link the Convention of States logo to http://www.conventionofstates.com when used online.
- Do not assert rights over the Convention of States brand, whether by trademark registration, domain name registration, or anything else.
- Do not alter the proportions of the logo to distort it in any way.
- Do not rotate the logo.
- Do not alter the color or design of the logo in any way.
- Do not use any icons, images, or trademarks to represent Convention of States other than what is found on this resource page.
- Do not separate the text from the flag icon.
- Do not add to or alter the text of the logo.
- Do not use previous versions of the logo.
- Do not abbreviate the name Convention of States (i.e. COS) when using the logo.
- Do not make the Convention of States logo the most distinctive or prominent feature of what you are creating.
- Do not allow the Convention of States logo to appear subordinate in size to any other partner logos included on the same creative document or website.
- Do not use the Convention of States logo in conjunction with another logo to imply partnership or ownership. Consult with the Creative Director for unusual situations.
- Do not use the color logo on a similar color or similar gradient background. To make the logo legible, move to a lighter, clearly legible portion of the design or picture, or use the white logo.
When Writing About Convention of States
- Do display the words, “Convention of States” in the same font size, color, and style as the content surrounding it.
- Do capitalize the words, “Convention of States,” except when it is part of a web address.
- Do not pluralize the Convention of States trademark, use it as a verb, or abbreviate it.
- Do not use the Convention of States logo in place of the word “Convention of States.”
Convention of States Colors
The Convention of States logo is to be used with the provided color scheme. Do not alter the color of the logo. When designing materials to be used in conjunction with Convention of States marketing, use the colors provided, as well as other colors that compliment the overall scheme.
Why does Convention of States need rules about how to use its brand assets?
We love self-governance, and part of self-governance is responsibility. These rules are intended to promote consistent use of the Convention of States brand. This makes it easier for people to instantly recognize references to Convention of States and prevents confusion. These guidelines are also an important part of protecting company trademarks.
Can I use Convention of States logos and images I found elsewhere on the web?
Only use Convention of States logos found on this resource page.
Am I allowed to use Convention of States assets on merchandise?
Convention of States does not permit or license its trademarks, logos, or other intellectual property for use on merchandise or other products such as clothing, hats, or mugs. In certain instances, you may receive permission to use the logo on products, but must first obtain written permission from the Convention of States Creative Director.
Do I need to request permission every time I want to use Convention of States brand assets?
By following these general guidelines, along with the rules for the specific asset you want to use, you can use the Convention of States assets without specific permission. In some cases, such as use on merchandise, creation of state-specific materials, etc., written permission must first be obtained from the Convention of States Creative Director before the Convention of States logo can be used.
By using the Convention of States trademarks in these brand guidelines and downloading the Convention of States assets, I acknowledge that I have read and understand the Convention of States brand guidelines and agree to follow them. I will strictly follow these branding guidelines, the trademark policy, and understand that Convention of States reserves the right to cancel, modify, or change this policy at any time at its sole discretion without notice.
I understand that any use of the Convention of States brand and/or trademark in violation of the terms of these guidelines will automatically terminate any license related to my use of the Convention of States logo, branding, and trademarks.
I understand that it is my responsibility to contact the Convention of States Creative Director to review any design, brochure, or marketing materials before they will be approved for distribution.
Convention of States Creative Director