On Friday, the Unicameral voted on a motion to "pull" the Convention of States (LR14) resolution out of committee. It was a motion filed by LR14 sponsor, Sen. Steve Halloran, to end the three year 4-4 deadlock in the Government Affairs Committee on LR14.
After about 90 minutes of debate, the motion failed by two with 23 in voting "yes", 14 voting "no", and 12 senators "present and not voting" or "absent".
Immediately following the vote, two senators expressed their interest in participating in the vote that did not originally vote. One of those senators additionally agreed to file a motion to "reconsider" the vote on Monday morning.
What does this mean? It means that LR14 is not dead yet in Nebraska, but it is going to take a lot of effort to get the reconsideration motion heard on Monday.
Here is how you can help:
- Email the Speaker immediately - Sen Mike Hilgers
- Ask him politely to reconsider LR14 Convention of States
- He alone has the ability to schedule the reconsideration
- Give him a reason why Nebraska should take this step
- Crazy legislation being passed in Congress
- Term limits
- National Debt
- Email these senators and encourage support of LR14
- If you have know your senator, and have an opportunity to speak with he/she over the weekend, please make sure you express your displeasure with the outcome of LR14 voting on Friday, and encourage support for a reconsideration on Monday.